I was able to make it home for the funeral. The day my grandpa died I was scheduled to go into work, which I decided to do (I thought it might be able to take my mind off things). Little did I know my sweet hubby worked with my parents a good portion of the evening into the night to find me some plane tickets that weren't $1300 per person. I came home to plane tickets for me and the boys in a short few hours. I packed up as fast as I could and flew across the country. Tucker was so excited to go to "Salt Yake City!"
The next day was spent having Maddox dinners with my aunts, uncles, and older cousins while going over details of the funeral. Thursday was the viewing in Brigham City (and reconnecting with many cousins/people I haven't seen in a long while).
Friday the 17th was the funeral. My Dad and all his brothers and sisters spoke, telling some of their fondest memories with their dad and things they learned from him. It was a good day, a celebratory day. My cousins put together a book of memories and pictures that we all contributed to. It was fun to look back and read over all the great memories with Grandpa (see my last post for my contribution to the book :)
Here are some pics from the day...
Grandpa served many missions in his life. As a young man he served in England. Later in life he served missions with Grandma in Wisconsin, Kentucky, Salt Lake, and the Family History Center in Ogden. These are great examples of service.
I had never been to a funeral that had military honors. It was really a cool thing to have the rounds fired off and the flag folded and presented to Grandma. Grandpa served in the army in his younger years prior to his mission.
Grandma with Dad and Grandpa's twin Rada.
Here's my sister and my soon to be brother-in-law Justin.
Here's my older girl cousins. There are 28 of us cousins total, and I believe we had 25 of us there for the funeral. It was fun to see us all together, it's been a long time! I had cousins fly in from New York, Texas, North Carolina, and of course me and my boys from Ohio to honor and remember Grandpa.
Dad and his brother Wynn
Me and my "little" brothers :)
My fam!
I have never seen so many flowers at a funeral...EVER! Trust me, I used to get paid to go to funerals when I worked hospice, and I've been to a lot. It's so great to see the love that people have for our family.
Gray with my cousin's boy Will. These 2 little men are only just a few short weeks apart
Like I said, it was a great day. It was a day to celebrate a great man and get together with family to do so.
Love you Gramps xoxo




2 comments:
Wow it sounds like your Grandpa was an amazing man... and it looks like he was very loved by you all! I'm glad you were able to come home and spend time with your family.
That is so awesome that you and the boys were able to come home! It sounds like his funeral was nice. You did great on all of the pictures as well. Oh and congrats to your sister...that is exciting!
Post a Comment