Friday, June 27, 2008

Torticollis

For quite a while now, we've noticed that Tucker has been favoring laying on his left side. He tilts his head to the left when he is in his carseat, laying down, whenever. So we've been trying to keep him on his right side as much as possible. When we went to the doctor on Monday, he said Tucker has torticollis. This is muscle spasms/tightening of the neck on one side that makes his head turn one way. It doesn't sound like much, but if it isn't treated, it can cause the head to become deformed because of the pressure exerted on one side. We don't know how it happened, it could have been before he was born, all cramped up inside with his head in a weird position, during labor, he just couldn't be sure. So in any case, now we are taking him to physical therapy at Primary Childrens Rehab here in Ogden to try and correct the problem before it causes problems. We have to hold him certain ways, position his head with washclothes while he is in his carseat, and double up on the tummy time. We'll keep you posted on how he is doing! I've posted a few pics here of him at a few days until now...notice, all to the left!
4 Days Old

2 Weeks Old

4 Weeks Old

9 weeks...head positioned with washclothes

5 comments:

Emily said...

Ahh, not fun! I'm glad you guys caught it early, poor little thing.

Kenzie said...

Wow, I am glad you caught it before it did start to cause problems. Poor little guy. Keep me posted on how he is doing. He is still at cute as ever.

Heather Edwards said...

I'm glad you caught it early and that all it will take is some physical therapy. Poor little guy.

Alicia said...

That is crazy I have never heard of such a thing! I am glad you noticed it early and can treat it!

Robyn Maughan said...

Oh man, I am glad you guys noticed and thought to say something! That name makes me laugh; who in the world thought of it :)