One year ago today, Tucker and I stepped off the plane to start a new chapter in our lives (Nate had already been here for a few days). I stepped off the plane a new home owner, jobless, thousands of miles away from my family, a new mother with a 4 1/2 month old in my arms, and knowing only a handful of people.
One week later I had 3 job offers, had all my pictures hung on the walls the way I wanted, became acquainted with the families of those Nate would be going to school with, and felt welcomed by my new ward.
It was a long year...full of many tears, new friends to confide in, seing many new places, catching Buckeye fever, learning how to be more frugal, and learning a whole new work routine. The hardest part.....trying to balance working full-time graveyard shifts, keeping up with housework and cooking, being a good mom, and a supportive wife while trying to get enough sleep in between to keep me sane. Needless to say, I made it.
Now, I finally feel like I have found my place in Ohio. I am working part-time which allows more time for me to balance my life a lot better. I am keeping up with laundry, cooking, and have become a coupon queen.
LESSONS LEARNED BEING IN OHIO FOR ONE YEAR:
~I can survive without my family, but I'd still rather be closer to them
~My sanity is more important than a little extra cash
~There are countless things to see living in the East, and I have only begun cross places off my list
~Happenings books should be used wherever you go, it's a great way to try new places or fancier places for a lot less $. In the past, I have not taken full advantage of this book.
~I would rather work at McKay-Dee Hospital than any hospital in the Columbus area
~I am missionary everywhere I go, and need to be an example at all times. I have shared more about my religion my year here than I ever did living in Utah.
~The church is true through and through. The organization of the church is fabulous. Wherever you go, there is a built-in family that all believe the same thing, the message never changes. I am glad we don't have to "shop around" for a church like many people do.
~Gray skies all the time are not my friend, and don't put me in a good mood.
~You never get used to humidity.


Now I can say that we love our time in Ohio! We cherish our time here because we know it is so short, and thank you to all those fabulous friends we have made and for the support we continue to get from our family! GO BUCKS!



9 comments:
That is great brit! I am glad that you are enjoying it out there and that you have found your groove. I am sure it was way hard at first! I can't believe it has already been a year since you guys moved out there!
Ok seriously, when did our boys gets so big!? Tucker must've definitely had a growth spurt because Emerson used to be hugely chunky and I don't think he's grown much taller. We're glad we've gotten to share the last year with you guys too. :)
Wow, I can't believe it has been a year...amen with all of the life lessons. I'm SO glad that we're all together here doing this, I couldn't survive without ya!
Crazy that it has been a year already! I love to hear about all of your fun adventures.... I'm sure it's definitely a huge learning experience. I bet your families are so excited to see you guys soon! =)
We too have had so many missionary opportunities living outside of Utah as well. We love living in Virginia and agree that time flies!
I LOVE this post Brit. It's such a great recap. There are WAY too many things to see in the East for sure. Congrats Nate!
One year already? Sounds like it has been amazing in more ways than one. Andrew and I are actually planning on moving out of state next year. I just think that there is no other experience like it.
It seems like you guys have been gone longer than a year! I'm glad you've gotten all situated and you've adjusted well!
Wow! Can't believe how fast time flies. A year! Seems like you have really found your place. I'm so happy for you guys. What a great experience!
Post a Comment