Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Steel City



Since Nate's school schedule is lighter this summer, we are taking advantage and seeing all the places we can see! Our latest excursion....Pittsburgh, PA. We decided to go to Pittsburgh because the Cubs were in town playing the Pirates, and that's a ballpark we needed to cross off our list! So we made it to PNC park, and had some pretty good seats! And the best part...the Cubs won!

View From Ballpark






With the Cubs warming up in the background


View From our seats





The next morning we checked out the Duquesne Incline, an over century old trolley sort of contraption is pulled up this huge hill, almost straight up (not for those afraid of heights)! At the top is an observation deck, which you can basically look over Pittsburgh. The coolest part is seeing the 3 rivers....the Allegheny and the Monongahela rivers join to create the Ohio River.







View from the bottom, ready to go up!


View of the Steel City


Heinz field (where the Steelers play)


For lunch, we went down to the strip district in downtown to check out Primanti Brothers, a place we've seen on a couple Food Network shows. They basically just have sandwiches, all different sorts of meats and cheeses on italian bread. The kicker, though, is they throw on french fries and coleslaw onto the sandwich as well. Definitely filling!






Then off to a 1920s ice cream parlor called Klavons....very charming!

Tucker in an old phone booth. (don't ask...I don't know why there is a skeleton in the other phone booth!)




Pittsburgh is a cool city, not as industrial as I thought it would be. It's just an old city with lots of character and very friendly people!




On the way home....we couldn't pass up stopping at Cabelas in West Virginia. It's the best one I've ever been to...lots of animal exhibits. and Tucker loved running around looking at all of them!


7 comments:

Meili said...

britni tucker is so cute.I can't wait to see you

Becky said...

Isnt it fun to be able to do things with our hubbys again? It looks like you guys had a fun trip. We will have to plan something together sometime.

Jaimie said...

Looks like fun! I have a friend serving his mission there and he says its the coolest city with the nicest people like you said... good choice for a mini vacation! I can't believe how quick Tucker has changed from a baby to a little boy, where did my baby nephew go!?!

Lindsay said...

I love all the fun adventures you're going on! I bet it's great to get away. Emily's parents just moved back to Pittsburgh a few Month ago.... Seems like a fun place to visit! =)

Ally said...

LOOKS SO FUN!! We miss you! Which is why...we're coming to dinner tonight. SEE you soon.:)

P.S. will bring food.

Trinity said...

Look at your little Mr. He is getting so big. I love it. Glad you had a good time.

HDVB said...

Wow you two are quite the travelers!! Way to go to get out and see the world! :) I'm so glad that you had so much fun!